Swimming pools are an excellent way to cool off during the hot summer months, but why settle for a plain old pool when you can add a fountain feature to it? A swimming pool with a fountain adds an extra level of relaxation and beauty to your backyard oasis.
In this article, we’ll explore the benefits of adding pool fountains and give tips on choosing the right one for your needs. Whether you want a calming waterfall or a playful spray, we have you covered. So, let’s dive in and learn how to transform your ordinary pool into a stunning oasis.
Beauty and Benefits of Swimming Pool
Swimming pools offer numerous benefits and can enhance your home’s or outdoor space’s beauty. Not only do they provide a refreshing place to cool off on hot days, but they also provide a low-impact way to exercise and improve cardiovascular health.
Swimming pools can also increase the value of your property and provide an entertaining space for family and friends to gather and relax. Additionally, they can serve as a focal point for landscaping and outdoor design, adding to the overall aesthetic of your property.
What to Look For in a Pool Fountain?
A pool fountain is a decorative water feature that can enhance the appearance of a swimming pool. When selecting a pool fountain, it is essential to consider factors such as size, material, design, water flow, lighting, installation, and maintenance.
The size of the fountain should be appropriate for the size of the pool, and the material should be chosen based on style and budget. The design should complement the pool and outdoor space, and the water flow should match personal preferences.
Some fountains have built-in lighting for nighttime use, and ease of installation should also be considered. Maintenance requirements vary, so choose a fountain that fits your preferences and abilities.
Your Pool Needs This Add-on: Pool Floats, Pool Lounge Chairs, Pool Diving Boards
Best Kinds of Pool Fountains
Custom pools bring your dream swimming oasis to life with unique water features that enhance the pool’s aesthetics and ambiance. Pool fountains offer endless customization possibilities, with various types available to create a bespoke pool design that’s uniquely yours.
1. Floating Fountains
Floating fountains are one of the many types of pool fountains out there. They sit on top of your pool and spray water from the return system or pump. The best part? You can choose exactly how simple or complex you want it to be. You can have one spout or multiple tiers – the possibilities are endless!
2. Spillover Fountains
Spillover fountains are another type of pool fountain that is perfect for creating a relaxing ambiance. The water flows from a higher point to a lower one, and you can even include a rain curtain for a unique twist. Imagine lounging by your pool with the soothing sound of water cascading into it – it’s like having a personal oasis in your backyard.
3. Poolside Fountains
Poolside fountains are great for families who want to add a playful touch to their pool experience. These fountains attach to the edge of your pool and shoot water across it, creating a refreshing mist perfect for hot summer days. And the best part? You can choose the spray type you want – mist, stream, or coordinated bursts!
4. Light-up Fountains
For those who like to party, light-up fountains are a must-have. You can add LED lights to your fountain and create a personal light show to impress your guests. You can even cycle through different colors with a remote control for a mesmerizing effect. Imagine a rainbow of colors shooting across your pool – like having a disco in your backyard!
Designing Your Swimming Pool With a Fountain Today
Adding a fountain to your swimming pool can create a visually stunning and relaxing backyard oasis. Here are some popular fountain designs to help you design your dream swimming pool.
- Mimics the soothing sound of cascading water from the rainforest
- Can be customized in any size to fit the scale of your pool
- Ideal for lagoon-shaped pools due to its customizable design
- Can be built in on any side of the pool
- Typically arranged along a stack of rocks and stones from which water exits the waterfall at a downward slant
Arch Pool Waterfalls
- Creates a thin stream of water that beautifully sweeps into the pool
- Perfect for a pool situated on a hill
- The flow of water narrows out as it approaches the pool’s surface
- Provides an elegant and streamlined waterfall
- Can be arranged coming out from a stone spout
Water Curtain Waterfalls
- Creates a contemporary and sleek appearance
- Enters the pool straight down from its entrance point
- Provides a gush of water that streamlines your backyard’s aesthetic
- Can be placed at the end of your pool to ensure safety when entering the pool
- Emits a strong flow of water
- Two main factors to look at are the size of the waterfall and the water pressure
- Waterfalls are usually low and wide or tall and narrow
- A water pump is needed to keep a consistent flow of running water
- Standard flow rates typically range from 130 to 150 gallons per hour per inch wide of the pool
- Before installation, create a property plot plan and check for necessary permits
- How the water enters the pool impacts the sound of the waterfall and the overall appearance of the pool
- Waterfalls built on rocks or stone may create a louder gushing sound
- Water curtain waterfalls barely make any noise, allowing swimmers to relax and have conversations
- The arch pool waterfall makes intense white noise to drown out any ambient noise
- The size of the waterfall and speed of the flow influence the sound your waterfall will have
- Lighting strips or up-lighting enhance the beauty of your waterfall and create a beautiful ambiance during nightfall
- A LED lighting strip is an easy installation that costs approximately $700 to $1000 based on available features
- Placing spotlights or up-lighting showcases your waterfall and adds another dimension of beauty
- Shedding light on waterfalls increases pool safety and avoids injuries during nighttime use
- Hire a lighting specialist to prevent any amateur mistakes when installing lighting
Swimming Pool Fountains
Regular maintenance is essential to keep your swimming pool clean, safe, and enjoyable for years. While pool maintenance may seem like a daunting task, it’s manageable with a little bit of knowledge and effort. Here are some essential swimming pool maintenance tips that can help you keep your pool in top condition so that you can make the most of your investment.
- Clean the fountain regularly to prevent the buildup of algae, debris, and mineral deposits. This will help ensure that the fountain remains aesthetically pleasing and functioning correctly.
- Check the water level in your pool constantly, especially during hot and dry weather, as fountains can cause water levels to drop faster than usual.
- Maintain your pool’s water chemistry to prevent staining and corrosion, which can damage the fountain and other pool components.
- Inspect the fountain pump and motor regularly to ensure they work properly and efficiently. Check for any leaks or signs of damage.
- In the winter, make sure to winterize your fountain and pool to prevent damage from freezing temperatures. This may include draining the fountain and pool and covering it with a winter cover.
In conclusion, designing and maintaining a swimming pool with a fountain can elevate your outdoor space and provide a relaxing and beautiful oasis for your family and friends. With a variety of fountain designs to choose from, homeowners can customize their pool to fit their unique style and preferences.
However, proper maintenance is essential to ensure the longevity and functionality of your fountain. By following these swimming pool maintenance tips, you can keep your pool and fountain clean, safe, and enjoyable for years to come.